Deck Cover Project

This project is a little ironic in that, for years I have always wanted to sit on my patio and look up into the shade trees but couldn’t because of an ugly old trailer park-type awning. So, as in my earlier posts, we removed the old awning cover, built a larger deck over the old patio and my dream was fulfilled. Well, after the first season, we realized that the table and chairs were constantly filled with debris and bird poop. We have to keep them covered, or end up cleaning them every time we want to sit to dinner on the deck. An umbrella was out of the question, with our occasional windy days we would have to keep it down. So, a cover was decided, but just a half cover, enough for the dinning table and chairs, but the other half with the Bar-B-Que and Chiminea is not covered, offering views up into the trees and to let smoke drift upwards from the Chiminea and bar-b-que.

Clear fiberglass panels keep us dry, and there is an electrical box for a fan we found, for those muggy windless days.

2 thoughts on “Deck Cover Project”

  1. How did you connect it to your house. I can’t see if you cut the gutter out or the system you’ve used to mount it. Any info would be helpful we’re dealing with a similar situation and would like to avoid a second set of pillars for support.

  2. I bought some “Simpson Strong Tie” metal straps, about 2 to 2-1/2 inches wide and about 12to18 inches long. the heaviest gauge they had, almost 1/8″ thick. I bent them at a 90 deg. angle in 2 spots to form a “u” I used about 4 but I wish I used 5 or 6 for the 8 or 10 foot span I have. they basically are now “U” shaped brackets bolted to the 4×4 cross beam in front, and screwed to the back of the fascia. I can send a pic if you like.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture. Click on the picture to hear an audio file of the word.
Anti-spam image