all photos ©
These are the pages of my "SP's Newberg Branch in N scale". Here, you'll
find: pictures of my layout including, Portland Yard, McMinnville and surrounding
countryside, layout at a glance (below) and more.
As of 09/02, the "SP's Newberg Branch" has left the property.
Needless to say, it was difficult to tear it apart, but a growing family demanded
it. I hope to have a smaller shelf layout someday. Please enjoy my layout
||N Scale Model Railroading
Welcome to my model railroad, the SP's Newberg Branch in N scale. The Newberg Branch was a real branch line of the Southern Pacific RR, running between Cook and St Joseph, near Portland Oregon. It was a busy shortcut between Brooklyn Yard and the West side Line. McMinnville isn't really on the line, it is one time table stop to the south, but I liked the pictures of McMinnville I've seen and thought it looked much like my area of the layout.
click images to proceed to desired page
Layout at a Glance
- Here is a crude track plan
- Name: Newberg Branch.
- Scale: N (1:160)
- Size: 4x8 with a cut-out, based on Atlas' "Atlantic Long Haul" (phase 1) 3x5 extension for an L-shape (phase 2).
- Length of mainline: approx. 52 ft.
- Prototype: Southern Pacific RR, Newberg Branch.
- Local: Northern Oregon, SW of Portland.
- Period: 1970's to present
- Layout style: L shaped, with a cut out in the 4x8 section for easy access.
- Layout height: 37" to 40"
- Bench work: Open grid
- Roadbed: Cork on "Homasote" on plywood
- Track: Atlas section (phase 1) Atlas flex (phase 2)
- Turnouts: Atlas #4 "automatic" (later cut back like "custom", phase 1) Atlas #4 "custom" (phase 2) with caboose hand throws,
(1-electric automatic inside tunnel)
- Minimum radius: 9"
- Max. grade: 3%
- Scenery construction: Sculptamold on pink board foam, enviro-tex for the lake, Woodland scenics products, Heiki trees.
- Backdrop: 1x2 with masonite, Walters paste-on scenery.
This entire Rail Site was featured on NMRA Webmasters Choice for April 2006!
UPDATE: NMRA has since removed this feature from their website but it was an honor while it lasted
Some Great Links
[ Home ][ info ][ Prototype ][ Model ][ Park ][ History ][ Live Steam ][ Links ]
Train GIFs courtesy of Dan's Depot
all photos ©
this site owned and maintained by R.Wrede, ©
all rights reserved.